As I mentioned at the end of last week’s update post, I have spent my development time this week working on refreshing myself on vector math operations. Unsurprisingly, this means that precious little code of a game related nature got written. I also spent some time playing around with a demo of Sublime Text 3 to evaluate it.
Month: February 2016
This week’s update is about as action packed as last week’s; not a lot of forward progress has been completed as far as actual game coding is concerned. I finished updating the code in ts-tennis to use the new features in ts-game-engine (it was a few minor revisions behind) and got back to the ultimate goal, which is to finish all of the extended exercises for this particular game.
In actuality, there are only two exercises left that I hadn’t already completed (although I added a couple of extras to the list just for a small bit of polish, which are not outlined here):
- Fix tunneling issues with collisions between the ball and the paddles when the ball is moving too fast
- Restrict the vertical motion of the paddles to not be the full height of the court
This weeks update is not overly action packed or feature filled, I’m afraid. With some sickness in the house (human as well as canine) free time was at a real premium. As such, feature wise and blog wise, this is going to be a very short one.
As alluded to in last week’s update, my ultimate goal for the week was actually implementing some collision detection, but I got a little side tracked with finishing up the task of sprite sheets and animation lists instead. This week I actually made some strides in this regard, although progress was not as fast as it could have been as I kept trying out various ways to structure the code.
Eventually I settled on how I want things to work, and thus I’m pretty close to a final solution, although no commits have been pushed to the repository as of yet. In fact before I go any further, I should point out that I have started an “official” development branch to allow me to collect changes in preparation for an actual release. The master branch is (as it has always been) the official release branch.
Historically I don’t share code for my own personal projects, and so I tend to not have a lot of branches going. Instead, I have a strict policy of not checking in breaking changes. It’s also my policy to “commit early, commit often” as I find this allows me to focus on incremental changes easier. Now that I’m actually sharing the code with the public (assuming anyone in the public cares) I thought I would be more disciplined in my repository usage, especially as it pertains to anonymous people cloning it and expecting things to actually work.
However, that’s not the topic of this week’s update, collision detection is.