In this week’s update we start tackling exercise 9, in which we add the ability to alter the speed that the ball is travelling (easy) and then try to decide on the exact mechanic or mechanics that will cause it to happen (harder). I have to say that it’s kind of nice to run up against a design hurdle instead of a technical one, so there’s that.
Month: June 2016
The main gist of this week’s update is that I finished exercise 8 (create a title screen) and managed not to get bogged down in too much engine work (in fact, none at all) despite the fact that I could have very easily done that. I also fought a little with Mono and MonoDevelop (and gave up on the latter), but that’s work related and not really game development related.
So, lets talk about the stuff that is.
This week I worked on a lot of projects, some of which were even game development related (go figure!). Along the way I also got a little more conversant with my new editor of choice Sublime Text, worked a bit more with Wren and decided to leave it alone for now to mature a bit, and grappled with the HTML5 canvas and its handling of linear gradients.
All in all, an action packed week!
This week progress on the latest exercise was non-existent. Instead, I took some days off work, hung out at some science museums, did some kitchen reno work, and played around with Wren some more.
Usually Lua is my go to language of choice for embedding in applications for scripting purposes, so what follows is a little comparison of how Wren and Lua differ in this regard,